Neal Schon 'S Track-by-track Comments Of Upcoming Album.
Neal Schon recently posted a track-by-track commentary of his upcoming album The Calling, due October 22n. Here are Neal's comments:
“The Calling” Album Track By Track By Neal Schon
1. The Calling Neal Schon (guitar, bass), Steve Smith (drums), Igor Len (keyboards). This song has a cool mixture of blues, eastern melodies, rockin’ riffs, and some slammin’ solo improvisation.
2. Carnival Jazz Neal Schon (guitar, bass), Steve Smith (drums), Igor Len (keyboards). Igor plays great acoustic piano on this track. To me it’s a cool mixture of rockin’ melody and jazz
3. Six String Waltz Neal Schon (guitar, bass) Steve Smith (drums), Igor Len (keyboards, orchestration). This track has an old Journey feel to it.
4. Irish Field This track features just two guitars and a little imagination of a beautiful open field. This one is for M:)
5. Back Smash Neal Schon (guitar, bass), Steve Smith (drums), Igor Len (keyboards, synthesizer solo). I originally wanted to use a couple of vocalists on this track. It didn’t pan out so I turned it into an instrumental.
6. Fifty Six Neal Schon (guitar, bass), Steve Smith (drums), Igor Len (piano, orchestration), Jan Hammer (Moog synthesizer solo). This track originally started out with a cool drum part that Steve Smith came up. The track has an eastern flavor to it that I love, featuring electric sitar. This has an early Journey prog rock vibe to it.
7. True Emotion Neal Schon (guitar, bass), Steve Smith (drums), Igor Len (keyboards). This features a classical blues vibe with a cool Hendrix-type vibe in the middle.
8. Tumbleweeds This track features me on guitars and bass, Igor Len (orchestration), Steve Smith (drums), plus special guest Jan Hammer playing Moog solos.
9. Primal Surge This is a great song for sports channels! I play guitars and bass, Igor Len on keyboards and Steve Smith on drums. I love the embodied melody in the song.
10. Blue Rainbow Sky This track is a dedication to Ronnie James Dio the night he died outside my house – the sky was blue and it’s that feeling that was the inspiration for the recording.
11. Transonic Funk Just a cool funky jam with Steve Smith (drums) and Igor (keyboards).
12. Song Of The Wind II This track was directly inspired by the first Song of the Wind off the first Santana Caravanseri record. I recorded this with the guys in the last 30 minutes of our sessions.